Diwali Sweets Recipe Collection
Gulab Jamun Recipe
There are umpteen ready mixes available in the market for making Gulab Jamun, but none can beat the traditional recipe made with homemade khoya. Authentic Gulab Jamun made with hariyali mava has a very rich mouth-feel that gels well with festivity. In a bygone era, when everything was made at home, khoya would be made in winter and used in summer, by which time it would have acquired a mild green colour (hence the name hariyali) and grainy texture perfect for making Gulab Jamun! If you are not unable to achieve this feat, you can buy some soft khoya and get started.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 2 cups crumbled gulab jamun mava hariyali khoya
- 1/4 cup plain flour maida
- 3 tbsp milk powder
- 3 tbsp arrowroot flour paniphal
- ghee for deep-frying
For the sugar syrup
- Combine the sugar and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Simmer on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the syrup is of one string consistency.
- Remove any impurities which float on top of the syrup using a slotted spoon.
- Add the saffron and mix well. Keep the sugar syrup warm.
How to proceed
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead well into a very smooth dough.
- Divide this mixture into 30 equal portions and roll each into round balls ensuring there are no cracks on the surface as otherwise the gulab jamuns will crack while deep-frying. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, 10 gulab jamuns at a time, on a slow flame till they turn brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain well and immediately immerse in the warm sugar syrup.
- Repeat step 3 and 4 to deep-fry the remaining 20 gulab jamuns in 2 more batches.
- Soak the gulab jamuns in the sugar syrup for at least 1 hour.
- Serve warm or store refrigerated in an air-tight container for upto 3 days.
Hariali mava is a special kind of mava used to make gulab jamuns.
Press Release5 days ago
McDonald’s India- North and East Opens Restaurants with No Onion No Garlic Menu enroute the holy shrine of Vaishno Devi
Offering a 100% Vegetarian Menu, the restaurants are located at New Track- Tarakote Marg and Ardhkuwari Jammu, 16 March...
Press Release6 days ago
Gynoveda, Ayurveda-backed women’s healthcare startup, raises $10M in Series A funding led by India Alternatives Fund
Eyes democratising Ayurveda-enabled curative solutions from puberty to menopause for 1 Million women of India Round also saw participation from...
Press Release2 weeks ago
Butterfly Ayurveda organizes exclusive Women’s Day Wellness Workshop
New Delhi, March 09, 2023: With Women’s Day right around the corner, preparation for the celebrations and revelries have begun....
Press Release2 weeks ago
McDonald’s India – North & East aims to hire 1500 employees from NGOs by 2025 through its community campaign ‘McDonald’s for Youth’; seeking partnerships
~Partnered with not-for-profit organisations like Magic Bus, Tech Mahindra Foundation, Quess Corp Foundation, Tarraqi, and others~ New Delhi, 1...
General2 weeks ago
Celebrating Womens and Their Love for Spirits
The yearly celebration, which coincides with Women’s History Month by a week, has a different message each year; in 2023,...